SCONUL visitors to Portsmouth
Non-Portsmouth students and staff wishing to use the University of Portsmouth Library
Go to www.sconul.ac.uk/sconul-access and follow a few simple steps:
- Tell the system what kind of library user you are (staff, full time post graduate, distance learner etc) and the name of the library at which you are employed or registered as a student.
- "Find a library" will show you all potential host libraries either as a map or a list. You can modify your search to find libraries in a particular region or near a particular postcode.
- Choose your first host library (e.g. University of Portsmouth Library) by clicking on the name. This will give you details of the institution and allow you to select Apply for access. This will lead you to an online registration form for the scheme which you can submit to your home library for approval.
- Use the side menus for more details of the scheme.
- Staff at your home library will process your application, generally within three working days. They will check that you are a registered user with no outstanding fines or problems.
- Once your application is approved, you will receive an email from Sconul, confirming that you are eligible for the scheme. Some users such as undergraduates are only allowed reference access.
- Take a copy of this confirmation email and your library or ID card to the University of Portsmouth Library. You will also need to provide a passport-style photo for your card.
- Staff at the University of Portsmouth Library will ask you to complete an External membership application form. Please note that it can take up to 5 working days following your application for your new card to be issued and we will contact you when it's ready to collect. Remember to check our Reception Desk opening hours before you visit as memberships can only be dealt with when library staff are on duty.
- If you would like to renew your Sconul membership, you will need to apply for access from Sconul again in the first instance.