Student membership

New students normally receive a student card when first registering with the University. If you are late registering, you can get a card printed at the University Library. You will need to be fully registered and have uploaded a photo before your card can be printed even if you have returned on a new programme of study e.g. undergraduate to postgraduate.  Overseas students will need to have a purple proof of registration card.    

Your student card also acts as your Library membership card and must be brought with you every time you use the Library as this identifies you as a valid library user and allows you to gain access to the Library through our entry turnstiles. Your student card is not transferable and you will be held responsible for all items borrowed on it. 

If you forget your student card

You can use our temporary card kiosk to obtain a 24 hour temporary pass. This temporary pass gives you access to the Library turnstiles only: it does not give you access to any of the Library or IT services that require your student/staff card (for example, you will not be able to borrow books without your card). You can apply for up to 12 temporary passes each Academic Year (August – July each year).

Lost cards

If you lose your student card, you will need to obtain a replacement card.  A replacement card generates a new issue number and a new Library number. The new Library number is usually imported overnight, however library staff can manually update this to enable you to access the library and borrow books. Attendance monitoring will work immediately with your new card. 

Distance learners

Distance learners need a student card to use the Distance Learning Support Service for postal loans and scans or interlibrary loans. This card also provides the necessary identification if you wish to use other university libraries in the UK through SCONUL Access.  You should apply for a card using the online system. Once processed, your card will be sent out to you by your teaching department. If there is a problem with your card, or you do not receive one, please contact your department in the first instance - they will advise you what (if anything) you need to do next.  

Using the temporary pass kiosk